Untouched landscapes and waterfront views in Lake of Bays

Looking for waterfront cottages or waterfront properties in Lake Of Bays, follow our Muskoka Modern Blog as we will be digging deeper into the history of the area. Lake Of Bays waterfront properties are unique in the amazing and untouched landscape and waterfront views they provide.

The Township of Lake of Bays was established in 1971 from the former Townships of Franklin, Ridout, McLean and Sinclair/Finlayson (unorganized) as one of six area municipalities within the District of Muskoka.

Towns included in Lake Of Bays are Baysville, Bigwin, Birkendale, Bona Vista, Bondi Village, Britannia, Brooks Mills, Browns Brae, Dorset, Dwight, Fox Point, Glenmount, Grandview, Grassmere, Grove Park, Hillside, Limberlost Lodge, Lumina, Maple Ridge, Millar Hill (ghost town), Nith Grove, North Portage, Norway Point, Port Cunnington, Sea Breeze, South Portage and Wahawin.

The town was once the starting point for the smallest commercial railways in the world – Portage Railway. From 1904 to 1958 it took passengers from North Portage on Peninsula Lake to South Portage on Lake of Bays. The Portage Flyer, stopped its route in 1958 as was moved to a park in St.Thomas, Ontario. In 1984 most of the train and equipment were moved back to Huntsville to the Muskoka Heritage Place. It is now a big part of Huntsville’s tourism attractions – you can ride the Portage Flyer from its station beside Huntsville’s Canada Summit Centre.

Lake Of Bays was named after the large lake by the same name, the lake is fed by Oxtongue Rive and many other rivers and creeks.

The First Nations apparently called the lake Num g e low e nee g go mark lak a hagan which means Lake of Forks. It has also been called Baptiste Lake, Forked Lake and Lake of Two Bays.

David Thompson traversed the lake in 1837  and created a map of the lake that refers to it as Forked Lake. On September 5, 1837, Thompson mentioned catching lake trout in the lake. Thomas Moffatt, an agent for the Hudson’s Bay Company (Moffatt reported an outpost on Bigwin Island) referred to it as Trading Lake. In 1853, a geological survey by Alexander Murray of the Geological Survey of Canada referred to the lake as Lake of Bays.

Lake Of Bays has many properties for waterfront luxury cottages in Muskoka.

- Attribution: Some facts, copy from Wikipedia